This information is the responsibility of the Regional Government of the Azores and aims to inform you of the measures that are in force in the Autonomous Region of the Azores, in the context of combating the Covid-19 pandemic , directed specifically to passengers who disembark at airports in the Azores on flights from areas considered by the World Health Organization to be areas of active community transmission of SARS CoV 2 or that have chains of active transmission of this virus.
For more information you can consult:
Firstly, to protect your health, the health of all those you can contact while in the Azores, including your family, and the health of all Azoreans. Do not forget that the SARS CoV 2 virus is highly contagious and can ultimately cause death. It may happen that a person is infected and not know it. This is because, according to current scientific knowledge, about 25% to 30% of the infected are asymptomatic. That is, they have no symptoms, such as fever, cough or difficulty breathing. In such cases, being infected and being asymptomatic, you may be contaminating other people without being aware of it. On the other hand, even in the case of people who, being infected, end up revealing symptoms, the period in which they can start passing the virus on to others with whom they contact, precedes, by some days, the manifestation of symptoms. Finally, the mainland of Portugal is considered by the World Health Organization, as of active community transmission zone. This means that the SARS CoV 2 virus circulates in the community without being able to determine the focus of infection. In the Azores, the transmission chains of the virus have so far been identified and circumscribed. Thus, also to prevent the public health situation in the Region from worsening, several measures have been determined by the Regional Government for passengers disembarking at the airports of Ponta Delgada, on the island of São Miguel, or Lajes, on the island of Terceira
- A) Submit proof, in paper form, of a document issued by an accredited laboratory for the testing of COVID-19, attesting to the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, within 72 hours prior to the departure the airport of origin. The document must state the passenger’s identification, the laboratory where it was performed, the date of the test, the signature of the person responsible for carrying out the test, and the NEGATIVE result. In this case, and if the stay is extended for seven or more days, the passenger must, on the 5th and 13th day, counting from the date of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, if the stay is for the mentioned duration or more, contact the health authority of the municipality where you reside or are staying, with the objective of conducting a new SARS-CoV-2 screening test, done by the local health authority, the result of which you will be notified within 24 hours; or
- B): Complete a screening test for SARS-CoV-2, done by the local health authority, with the collection of biological samples upon arrival, and must remain, in prophylactic isolation, in a hotel room indicated for this purpose until the result of said test NEGATIVE, in which the amount of time between the collection of the samples and the NEGATIVE test result must not exceed 48 hours. In this case, and if the stay is extended for seven or more days, the passenger must, on the 5th and 13th day, counting from the date of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, if the stay is for the mentioned duration or more, contact the health authority of the municipality where you reside or are staying, with the objective of conducting a new SARS-CoV-2 screening test, done by the local health authority, the result of which you will be notified within 24 hours; or
- C) Carry out voluntary quarantine for a consecutive period of fourteen days in a hotel indicated for this purpose, prior to the end of the mentioned period, biological samples will be collected and a SARS-CoV-2 screening test to be done by the local health authority; or
- D) Return to the destination of origin or travel to any destination outside the Region, in which case until the time of the flight mandatory prophylactic isolation in a hotel indicated for the purpose must be fulfilled;
In case I intend to travel to another island, I communicate this intention by filling in the health form provided according to the draft attached to Normative Circular no. 37, of May 28, 2020, from the Regional Directorate of Health, committing myself to comply with the following procedures: If I perform a screening test on arrival in the Region, I can, from the moment I become aware of the NEGATIVE result, travel to another island in the Region. If I present a NEGATIVE test on arrival, I can immediately travel to the other island. Whether in one situation or another, I am obliged to contact the local health authority where I live or are staying, on the 5th and 13th days, counted after the initial test, to perform a new SARS-CoV-2 screening test.
Necessary information concerning the hotel units determined for this purpose and the associated services and conditions, will be available through the COVID-19 Line for non-medical issues – 800 29 29 29 or by email email@example.com.
- If you refuse to choose one of the options mentioned above, or if you fail to comply with the duty of prophylactic isolation or voluntary quarantine, the local Health Authority may, within the scope of its powers, determine the mandatory quarantine for the period of time necessary to complete the 14 days since your arrival in the Region, in a hotel defined for this purpose, the costs of which are your responsibility and not that of the Regional Government of the Azores.
- In this case of mandatory quarantine determination, this decision will be submitted to a judge for validation within a maximum period of 24 hours.
- In addition, and in relation to non-compliance, a complaint will be made for the crime of disobedience.
- From the decisions of the Health Authority that concern you, you can appeal or complain to the Regional Health Authority, to the Regional Health Secretary of the Government of the Azores or to a court of law.